Sunday, May 9, 2010

Lesson Two: Metering and Exposure

Good morning and Happy Mother's Day!!

Photography class this past week was interesting and in depth. I'm still digesting it all, but if you're interested in metering and exposure I'm including a link which basically covers what we covered in class:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-metering.htm

We also discussed histograms and, honestly, I did not know my camera produced a histogram for my photos. I obviously need to read the owner's manual without my auto-skimming mode turned on in my brain.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/histograms1.htm

When I walked into class this week I was happy to see we had grown from one to four students. Class now consists of myself, Lori, Joy and Robin.

We looked at each of my homework photos and discussed them. Although Brian, Jr. named my thumb drive "Diane's Porn," in actuality -- and thankfully -- only my homework photos were on it. ;-)

I've had a busy week and am going to head out later this afternoon to start my homework assignment, which is:

1) Shoot three images of one subject using aperture priority and a) Matrix meter, b) Center weight meter, and c) spot (partial) meter;

2) Shoot three images of one subject using manual exposure and a) Matrix meter, b) Center weight meter, and c) spot meter;

3) Shoot one series of images each using aperture priority and manual exposure using the Auto Bracketing system

This link helps somewhat in understanding auto bracketing:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Understanding-and-Using-Auto-Bracketing&id=289708

My pea brain may explode. :-D

Hope all my mothers following have a very happy Mother's Day!!

Photos to be posted later.......

12 comments:

  1. This is too technical for my brain. This is why I need an automatic point and shoot. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL -- and it's why my pea brain is exploding Yvette! :-) Kenny (teacher) said these first two lessons are the most difficult and I'm hoping once I digest some of it better, I will be less intimidated. Yeah. That's it. :-D

    On a happy note, Brian said he would buy me a tripod for Mother's Day!! I need to figure out what to purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the potential subject for the afternoon festivities, hopefully Diane will figure everything out so I don't miss my supper. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're my partner in crime Brian -- I'm not going to photograph you. I suppose you could moon me against a dark background and we could work with that. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. And a shout out to Brian, Jr. for the blogspot hyperlink lesson. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hah, I totally forgot I had named your thumb drive that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. :-) Brian.

    Dad just handed me a glass of wine because I was rubbing my head so much regarding this week's homework assignment. :-O

    ReplyDelete
  8. dSLR = camera is the gift that keeps on giving - HEADACHES! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does this family every talk directly to each other or do you all always communicate via Diane's Blog??? LOL

    This all looks very complicated Hibs, but I know that you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Diane your pics are SO FABULOUS! I am still trying to soak in the whole "metering- and more" I am so not a nature photographer but you are doing fantastic my dear. I will see you in class tomorrow. Thank you for providing me with this link!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Lori! It was great seeing you today. I'm enjoying class a lot! There's so much I do not know. I'm finding it all very interesting. :-)

    ReplyDelete